The Abercorn Arms
78 Stanmore Hill, Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 3BU
Telephone:0208 954 3777
The Abercorn Arms was named after the Marquess of Abercorn who acquired the nearby Bentley Priory Estate in 1788. It served many travellers on this busy route through Watford to the Midlands, encouraging further settlement on Stanmore Hill. Highwaymen apparently stalked this route since coaches moved slowly up the hill, given this was now a principal route to London.
The Abercorn Arms is also important for its history and associations. It was called the Royal Hotel after a meeting which took place there in 1814 between the Prince Regent, the King of Prussia and Louis XVIII. Louis was returning in state to France to reclaim the throne after spending his exile in Hartwell, Buckinghamshire. The Morning Chronicle of 21st April, 1814 describes a procession through the town in honour of the French King who had to be helped down from his carriage as he was so infirm. Louis had breakfast at the hotel. There were stables and outbuildings there for travellers horses.
Coaches ran from outside the Abercorn Arms to Oxford Street twice a day as early as 1826 and between Stanmore and Holborn from 1803.
154 Stanmore Hill
Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 3DA
Telephone:0208 954 3335
The Vine Public house at the top of Stanmore Hill. Although now an Indian Restaraunt they still have a good selection of drinks and outside seating.
Man In The Moon
1 Buckingham Parade The Broadway Stanmore HA7 4EB
Telephone:020 8954 6119
Large JD Wetherspoons in a nice location at the corner of Stanmore Hill and the Broadway, nestled into a shopping parade (Buckingham Parade). The Parade itself replaced the early-18th-century Buckingham House and Buckingham Cottage this was the hunting lodge of the Duke of Chandos.
43 Church Road
Telephone:020 8954 2666
The Crown Public house in Church Road, a conversion of the Crown Hotel first licensed in 1803 is another one that has changed its name they still have a good selection of drinks and outside seating.
The Spice Rack
35 Church Rd, Stanmore, Middlesex HA7 4AR
Telephone:020 8954 6374
Formally the old post office building from the 1930s.
The Hare at Old Redding
Telephone:0208 954 4949
Now, not exactly in Stanmore but just a few metres over the border this pub really does need a mention because it was originally leased by the stanmore brewery. A local man Thomas Clutterbuck, who owned the brewery (Clutterbucks) in nearby Stanmore, leased a cottage to convert into a Public House. This is known today as The Hare.
For the workers locally employed in agriculture, or in the extensive brickworks owned by the Bodymeade family, the arrival of The Hare was a chance after their long labours to enjoy good ale and good company, which is every Englishmans right.
In the North East Corner of The Hare, there is a very rare Sarsen stone, which is a sixty million year old silicified standstone, normally found in the Marlborough Hills. Sarsen stones were also used in the building of Stonehenge.
The Hare has seen many landlords over the years, too many to mention. However the Foskett family ran The Hare from 1841 to the turn of the century. In 1959 a former professional footballer George Hill, who played for Luton, took over the management from a Miss Ginn who had been landlady from 1934.
The Seven Balls
749 Kenton Lane Harrow Weald HA3 6AW
Telephone:020 8954 4744
Again, not exactly in Stanmore but just a few meters over the border this pub really does need a mention because it is my local.
The oldest public house in Kenton Lane it is situated opposite the junction with Gordon Avenue.
Despite recent alterations to the interior, the external appearance has changed little over the years and you may be surprised to learn that before the first world war there was a bus service from the "Seven Balls" to Charing Cross in London. The service was stopped after protests were made by the residents of Gordon Avenue, along which the buses began and ended their journeys.
As part of the 1993 refurbishment The Seven Balls ran a competition for a new swing sign. Won by a local resident with a design featuring seven decorative orbs. The previous sign had depicted a game of bowls. Although the inn's name is said to have been inspired by the coronet of the Duke of Chandos, allegedly decorated with seven balls
And Some That Are Not With Us Any More
The Green Man
The Queens Head
named "Fountain House".(Click to enlarge)