Early C19. Two-storeys; each 2 bays wide. Painted brick; slate roofs. No 111 has modern shop front with door on left, and subsidiary door on right. First floor has 2 sash windows with glazing bars. Roughcast on return front. No 113 has ground floor with segment-headed door on left, shopfront with glazing bars and shop entrance on the corner. The return front has timber-cladding on the first floor, where there are 2 gothic windows with glazing bars.
Part of a prominently sited group of C18 and C19 two-storey buildings of brick with white painted weatherboarding. Slate and tile roofs. Various windows including sashes, casements and Gothic-arched.
Pair of late C19 red brick houses of symmetrical design. Two-storeys. Three bays. Diapered in blue brick. Three gables with fretted bargeboards. Tile roof with decorative chimneys. Eaves supported on bowed timber brackets.
Early C19. Two-storeys. Three bays emphasised by a block pilaster treatment. Red brick. Four-pane sashes. Tile roof C20.
Picturesque group of mid to late C18 cottages. Red brick. Tile roof. No 52: 2-storeys. Two sash windows with margin panes to ground-storey. Later central porch. High, prominent chimney stacks in yellow stock brick. No 54: 2-storeys. Two windows; offset door on left.
Mid C19. Two-storeys. Yellow stock brick with tile roof. Pilastered and pedimented doorcase at left. Three sash windows with margin panes. Gables with fretted barge- boards left and right. Crested ridge.
Early C18. Home of Edward Wilson. Three bays. Two and a half-storeys. Good red brick carefully bonded, stone cornice and string courses, parapet and tile roof. Left flank elevation has first floor Venetian window. Excellent doorcase with full cornice, columns and pediment. Keystone carved with bearded face. C19 addition to rear. Good original staircase.
C18 and C19. Red brick some 600 ft long. Approximately 9 ft high
C18, Ashlar. Paired fluted pilasters at corners. Garlands and cherubs round oval panels on long sides. Inscription eroded.
C19 stone gate piers. Square with vermiculated rustications and Greek fret frieze with consoles to right and left. Blocking course and flat pyramid cap. Modern gates not included. (Another pair is in Uxbridge Road).
Mid C19 Gothic revival. Lodge is of rubble with ashlar dressings. Two and a half-storeys. Two traceried windows with dripmoulds. To left is turret with swept pyramid roof. Matching gate piers surmounted by heraldic beasts.
Monument to Philip Jackson in churchyard of Old Stanmore Church, between east end and road to north Short obelisk, on scroll feet standing on plinth, to Philip Jackson (d.1779).
The church of St John the Evangelist, Great Stanmore. 1632, attributed to Nicholas Stone. Red brick with Portland stone dressings. Rectangular plan with west tower.
Three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, an arched door with blocked quoins, arched window openings (paired at the upper stage) with stone surrounds, and stair tower to the north-east corner; reinforced with later massive brick buttresses.
Side walls partially survive; tall framed rectangular window openings (some blocked or altered) with wooden mullion and transoms; single storey two-stage brick mortuary chapel attached to north side, with blind arched panels and stepped dentil cornice. Door case with stone surround to south side, east end; arched door at west end of south side with rusticated jambs. Moulded stone string-course survives in part; the battlemented parapet has been removed, along with most of the eastern gable. East end has a Venetian window of stone below a moulded string course, and angle quoins of brick.
numerous memorials and ledger slabs were retained and placed inside the tower. The Gothic Hollond tomb of 1867 was built (of red sandstone and marble) in the centre of the former nave, together with other Victorian graves. The interior was paved over with stone flags in 1991-2.
Consecrated in 1632 by Archbishop William Laud (then Bishop of London), this church replaced an earlier medieval building and was paid for by the City merchant adventurer Sir John Wolstenholme. Nicholas Stone, Master Mason to Charles I, was paid for a font and supplying a porch here. The coffin of the 4th Earl of Aberdeen, Prime Minister in 1852-55, is deposited in a vault here. It was replaced in its turn by the 1849 church located nearby, and unroofed at that time.
A highly picturesque ruin, and of architectural importance as an example of Caroline classicism, showing the impact of Inigo Jones. Churches of this period are relatively few.
Urn tomb to Mary Wood north of east end of Old Stanmore Church Urn with scrolls to corners of base pedestal with wreathed circular panels on each side. To Mary Wood
Approximately 26 Yards Along Stanmore Hill and Nort,Stanmore Wall running south-west from corner of No 3, approximately 26 yds along Stanmore Hill and north-east up to rear of No 2 C18. Red brick approximately 9 ft high, with pilaster buttressing.
Or join our Facebook group "Stanmore Middx. Past & Present"